Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sea Cucumber Fish Maw Beancurd Soup 海参鱼鳔豆腐羹



Why not we do our bit to save the shark by replacing the shark fin soup to Beancurd soup.  It can be as tastier as shark fin soup and you can add any other ingredients  to give  that extra  oomps to this lovely soup!    So instead of shark fins soup lets go for Beancurd soup, its tastes as goooood!   Its quite tedious task to prepare the soup with cleaning, cutting, soaked, slicing and etc etc.....  But the results is worth it! 

I have prepared this  soup many times and I can't remember why I never blog about it.  The soup is as tasty as shark fin soup only  minus the shark fin and is taste as good.  My soup queen Tammie love it so much.  I called her soup queen as she love to drink soup so much.  When soup is not served during dinner time she will still prepare herself with soup Marmite or canned mushroom soup.   That is my girl, Tammie!


This soup have been prepared many times with few photos  were  posted on my facebook some times ago, and prepared soup again for my son home coming reunion diner.  This time decided to blog about it, credit must give to the event  little thumb ups organized by Zoe.  ^_^



 





 The black vinegar  to go with the soup






 The abalone strips/edges is in the soaking process







Ingredients                                                                                         


Chicken stock

2 chicken carcass
2 litre of water
3 slices of ginger
1 cloves garlic (smashed)
2 spring onion (only the white part)

200 gm fresh sea cucumber    海参 (I bought the sea cucumber from Jusco Supermarket)
50 gm fish maw  鱼鳔 soak in water till soft -  sliced into strips  (I washed the soaked fish maw with some flour to get rid of the oil)
1 box of soft tofu - diced
1/2 carrot - sliced thinly
3 chinese mushroom (soaked and sliced)
50gm abalone strips  鲍鱼边 - soak in water to soften ( bought from chinese sundry shop)

Seasoning
Salt to taste
2 tsp chicken stock granules
Pepper

2 tbsp of chinese cooking wine - I used shao shing wine)

For thickening
3 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water
1 egg - slightly beaten

Method


  1. Boil the all the chicken stock ingredients for 1 hour.  Strain for later use.
  2. Add in chinese mushroom, abalone strips into the chicken stock for a slow boil for about 1/2 hr 
  3. Add in sea cucumber, fish maws carrot and tafu for a rapid boil.
  4. Add in seasoning to taste and adjuct accordingly.
  5. Thicken the soup with thickening 
  6. Turn off the fire and add in beaten egg and stir briskly.
  7. Serve  soup with black vinegar.

Enjoy the soup with your family


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake.










10 comments:

  1. Christine, I love your soup! You are right, no need to eat sharksfin and the soup tastes just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, TQ dear, yes lets go away with shark fin soup and hv tofu soup instead!

      Delete
  2. Hi Christine, this soup is very yummy and whenever I cooked this, I need to cook extra cos I like to eat it on its own. Have a great day and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stewed tofu dish looks great. I would love to have that gravy with lots of rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich, TQVM! this is a soup dish similar to shark fin soup but minus the shark fin and crab meat. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hi Christine,

    I smiled reading about how you decided to blog this fish maw bean curd soup relating the ingredient of this dish to LTU... Glad that LTU has inspired you :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, LTU has inspired me for sure, adding more mission to accomplish with my already full list of things to do..... Phew! :P
      LOL

      Delete
  5. Hi Christine, I don't eat sharks fins too and I've always told people that shark's fins have no taste and the flavour comes from the chicken and the other seafood used. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, Yes,lets do away the shark fins! TQ for the support!

      Delete